Kindergarten Challenge (KC) is Envision's Children's newest program and grew out of the Extended Day Program.
KC is a two-hour program that runs on Saturdays during the school year (September-May). There are two class times 10 a.m. -12 p.m and 12:30-2:30 p.m. All students must be enrolled in a kindergarten class.
The cost of attendance is FREE for all students in the Winton Woods School District (WWSD) Non-WWSD students may attend and the cost is $15 per session.
Instruction is designed to assure that all students attending the KC are able to master the following skills/tasks which are recommended by the Ohio Department of Education for students leaving kindergarten for first grade.
- Understand time concepts like yesterday, today, and tomorrow
- Hold a crayon and pencil correctly
- Know the eight basic colors: red, yellow, blue, green, orange, black, white, and pink
- Recognize and write the letters of the alphabet in upper- and lowercase forms
- Know the relationship between letters and the sounds they make
- Recognize sight words such as the and read simple sentences
- Spell his/her first and last name
- Write consonant-vowel- consonant words such as bat and fan
- Retell a story that has been read aloud
- Show an opinion through drawing, writing, or speaking (e.g. “My favorite book is…”)
- Identify and be able to write numbers from 0 to 20
- Count by ones and tens to 100
- Do addition problems with sums up to 10
- Do subtraction problems with numbers 0 to 10
- Know basic shapes such as square, triangle, rectangle, and circle
- Know his/her address and phone number